Monday, July 6, 2009

Vernal Pride...

Two fists to the chest and a peace sign...
Yes, those are fighter jets! We get them every year!Nothing like it in the world I tell ya...the 4th of July in Vernal, Utah. It's long since been my favorite holiday, the fact that it takes place in the summer is probably the most appealing to me. But I love dressing Ali and Gage in their red, white and blue and loading up to go to the "parade" early (?) in the morning. We always park on the side of the street that heads straight for the lake, so as soon as the "parade" is over, we can make a b-line there. The "parade" this year was a disappointment to me. I've always laughed cause all you need to enter the parade is a big truck or an old car with some kind of advertisement on the side-but it seemed a little out of hand this year. The whole parade was an advertisement! No one really put much work into anything that went by besides the school bands and the drill team unicyclers! But all is well that ends well, and they saved the horses for last, which was what the kids wanted to see anyway. It's no secret that our economy is significantly effected by how well the oil field is doing, so I can honestly say, I was making noise right along with everyone else! The guy who sells these bumper stickers stands out on the curb in front of his storefront and waves this sign to all the cars going by! I don't love drilling that much, but hey- whatever sells his stickers, right?Do you think you could call a business "hose" anywhere but Vernal, Utah? The truck pulling this trailor was full of scantilly clad young ladies, whose parents probably watched this sexual inuendo fly over their own heads!

We made it to the lake unscathed, but as soon as I tried to start my wave-runner I knew I was in for it. It wouldn't turn over, and considering they were our only entertainment besides sand castles at the beach, I started to panic. I was glad no one had seen me fall in while still holding on to the dock with my hands and the wave-runner with my tippy-toes. I was glad until Jon decided to tell EVERYONE he talked to about it. EVERYONE...and usually he doesn't talk to anyone, but for this life experience of MINE... he made an exception. The wave-runner was saved by the ranger, and we ended up spending a fun few hours before the char of my skin started to smell.

After coming home from the lake, we quickly got ready for a family BBQ at our house that went off without a hitch, and then went to the park to stake out our spot for the fireworks. It's so funny to go every year, and NOTHING CHANGES! Everyone goes to the same spot, certain families bring tables and barbequers, some people let off fireworks on the grass...there are always people selling cotton candy, snow cones and whatever else... we always see a ton of friends there, and this year the Frew's graced us with their presence...Happy Birthday Justin Poop! The day was great, the company better- I can't wait till next year!


Just a shout out to my little brother Clark- Happy Birthday to YOU TOO! I hope you had fun this year, and I promise, one of these years I WILL get you to come to Vernal for the day! We don't disappoint! We know how to throw a party! One day!!

6 comments :

Shauna said...

I really love your airplane photo! Very COOL!

Michele and Wyatt said...

I've never really loved the Vernal parades. We've changed our tradition and started getting to the lade before the parade and the crowds. I do kind of miss the fighter jets. They are pretty awesome.

It was fun to see you at the lake. We will have to get our girls together to play one day. Brynli would love to play with Megan again. (That's what Ali said her name was.)

Just me! said...

Your pictures are AWESOME!!! What a talent!! (I know...I will get back to ya on a date!) Like you said it is hillarious how everyone has their own spot and it doesn't change. I love it!!
P.S. The parade did bite the dust!!

Karlee said...

I love that jet picture! Tate would have loved seeing those. Did they fly over Vernal? I heard the parade wasn't real great. Sounds like you guys had a fun time though. Yeah, Jolley's Ranch... you know that place huh! We used to go there all the time as kids. We loved it up there. We still go, but just not this year. I have an aunt named Debbie Gordon, I wonder if it is the same lady. That'd be funny! All the Gordon's are related out there. We have tons!! Your kids looked so cute dressed in their red, white and blue! Again, good lesson again on Sunday. I always love hearing you!

Joey said...

I love the picture of Ali. SOOOoooo cute! Sounds like you had a great time as usual. One day we will have to spend the 4th together somewhere...hummmm I wonder where that will be. I love the comment above! Could that possibly my BFF Debbie they are talking about???

Jake said...

Stephanie! WE ARE COMING UP ON SATRUDAY. Call me when you get a second-

Jake, Alex and Braxton