Sunday, November 28, 2010

Taking a breath...

I dread the Thanksgiving holiday weekend every year. I love Thanksgiving when I'm able to spend it with family, but for 10 of the last 11 years, I've had to cut the day short so I'm able to get back home for work the next day. I have to wake up earlier than usual and be at work so the people lined up outside our door don't have to wait for me to get there. I have to try to help people as they walk through the door, getting pulled in six different directions and occasionally getting in the middle of a brawl over furniture they think they need RIGHT NOW, and are NOT able to wait for the two weeks it would take to get it in. Pa-lease. I'm tired. I could use a sabbatical and I want to see the Marianna Islands, being that I just heard about them from the back of a quarter.

On a higher note...blackest Friday night was pretty fun! This town, yet again, does a great job at making us like to live here! Holly Days started a few years back- even then it was so much fun, but it gets better every year! We went to just a small portion of it, got free hot chocolate, churros and cotton candy, visited Santa- (the real one with the real beard) and the kids went on a few rides...it was frigid! They had propane heaters set up in Cobble Rock park and while we were warming ourselves, kereoke started! I think they must have put something in the Hot Chocolate, cause normally I wouldn't be caught dead singing in front of so many people, but I did it! Monica and I got up in front of everyone and sang "Santa Baby" as if we were as cute as Marilyn Monroe- though, Jon did tell me we weren't nearly as good- and they video taped us doing it! I almost quit right in the middle, but then a little voice yelled "yeah Mom!!!" and kept me going...what a cutie...

Sunday is a breath of fresh air. I decided to make sugar cookies, so it's my own fault that I'm sick of the kitchen. It stresses me out cause I want them to be just so. The kids want to help so badly, but they make such a big mess of my kitchen and eat enough dough to give a small country botulism. Besides the fact that half a bottle of sprinkles comes out on each of their cookies...I really wish I were more of a patient mother. Neighbors, I'm sorry if you don't get any cookies, but Ali cracked one of the eggs and there are so many egg shells in the dough- big egg shells. Next batch...

Photobucket

1 comment :

Joey said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend...Week! Me too. I can't even think about decorating the tree. It is just sitting there in the family room NAKED! The really sad thing is that it really doesn't seem to be bothering me as much as it is everyone else! Eventually it will get done. I could use a little Gage and Ali...