Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Mom- on Safari!


I woke up this morning and got ready for the day the same way I always do. Gage made it on time to the bus stop, Ali was dressed and I was doing her hair and then it hit me. My mom is leaving for Africa right now! I told Ali that her Grandma was on her way to Africa and she got a worried look on her face and said "ooooohhh noooo!" I hurried and called her, but only got her voice mail, just hoping that I hadn't missed her all together. I put the phone to Ali's ear and told her to leave her a message... this is what she said, "Hi Grandma, this is Ali. I wanted to tell you that I love you, I'm going to miss you and I hope you stay safe. I want you to know that Gage and me will say our prayers to make sure you are safe while you are in Africa, every night. I love you so so much!" And that was it. I cried all the way to work, all morning at work, and all day whenever I thought of my mommy. It's not that I see her all the time, or talk to her everyday, it's just knowing that she's going to be gone, and I won't be able to talk to her, or see her for 5 weeks that makes me emotional.


For anyone who doesn't know, my mom is a nurse, and an excellent one at that. She and my Aunt Pam are among a group of doctors and nurses who worked their rear ends off fundraising, and using their own resources to get to Africa with a foundation called HART. They are going there to help mostly children with an epidemic called the Burille Ulcer. I guess it's a parasite that burrows into the skin where they lay on the ground to sleep. I couldn't find much information on it, but it sounds awful. All of the group is going for the first two weeks. My mom, however, is staying to do follow up on the patients they help. She's amazing- I know I couldn't do it. Needless to say, I worry about her, and I already miss her! I know she'll be fine, knowing her, she'll be fabulous...I'm so proud to be her daughter right now!

2 comments :

Michele and Wyatt said...

I wish your mom luck. That's awesome that she would do that. You have a great mom. I understand about missing moms. I'm so glad that my mom is home from her mission. If it makes you feel any better, once they come home it's like they never left.

{Jamey} said...

Awww... That was so cute of Ali! I know what you mean, but I still don't think it's hit me yet. It probably will when I pick up the phone to call my mom and I can't for 3 weeks! Your mom will be gone even longer than that, but hopefully this will be something they will remember for the rest of their lives. It's a great opportunity. I would love to be able to do something like this oneday. You're so sweet to write such nice things :0)