Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Love you Buddy!

I so so so love my kids. They aren't perfect, but they are good. They are both good, good kids. It's just hard sometimes when they mess up, or someone assumes they are worse then they really are. Gage is finding himself right now. He is definitely not a conformist. He is his own guy, and for the most part, he's making good choices in a world full of easy-ways-out. I struggle with him at times- but really, he's the reason I wake up in the morning. He came home today and told me he was excited to come home cause he knew I would be home- and he couldn't wait to see me. He still gives me bear hugs and kisses goodnight. He tells me all about his day- and has stories out the wazoo!

He was playing rough with some neighbor kids today and I knew something bad would happen. Gage's worst attribute is his temper and it has been known to get the best of him. I could hear everything, and when it happened, Gage said a word that could be easily mistaken for a horrible one. I knew it wasn't the horrible one, but needless to say, he got blamed for saying the bad one. One of the other kids started making a big deal out of it- and before I knew it, something had been written about it on Facebook. Until now, I really haven't had a bad experience with Facebook, but now I understand how it can hurt someone so badly. Instead of confronting me, and asking me what had happened, the worst was assumed- and even though my kid got hit by another right in the face, after being shoved into the kid by another kid behind him- because he said a word that someone misconstrued, he's the bad kid. I really hate not being able to fix the damage that has been done.  Gage is embarrassed as well.  No parent wants to believe their child is capable of such a "flub-up" but even if it were another kid in the neighborhood- I know them well enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I don't think I would assume any of them would say something like that- but maybe that's just my ignorance.

 Don't get me wrong. I don't think Gage should get off that easily. He was disciplined as well for using words that sound like the wrong words. We talked for a long while about how using those words is just as bad as the real ones if someone else thinks that's what you said. And we talked about bad influences.  I asked him if he has friends that use bad language, and if he uses it without telling me. Like I said before, I was there, I heard it- it was close enough... but it breaks my heart that someone might think he's not as good a kid as I know he is. I guess I should just get used to it, but it's hard to remember. It shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks... what I KNOW should trump them all.

3 comments :

Cambria said...

Gage is perfect, all kids have their "down side" but honestly that kid is such a cute, perfect, loving little boy that the bad will never out weigh the good.

Joey said...

Shake it off. It's not the last time your heart will ache for your little one...Love ya!

Ethington Family said...

Steph, I love the type of Mom you are. I know it's hard, boy oh boy. It is so hard to have others assume or judge but as long as you are always teaching and supporting and he knows you love him he will be able to deal with it. I think the hardest thing as a mom is letting them deal with things. It does break your heart because you are a good mom and want whats best for your little ones, and you want others to see what you see in him.
Don't worry about what others think either. Chances are most people have had the same types of things happen and will brush it off. And if next time, when it is their son, you will show compassion and understanding because that is the type of women you are!
Have a good day!