Monday, August 20, 2012

Oregon Ho!

It's been a long time, I know. Life gets busy and time goes by so fast! July was a great month, as a matter of fact, this whole summer will go down in the books as one of my favorite. I only have one more day of summer with my kids, and Gage is spending it with his best buddy Benji- boating and partying for Benji's birthday. Ali and I will manage though- we've got plans to start the school year with a bang. I just can't believe we'll be starting another school year so soon! Gage starts his last year in elementary school. I'm so nervous for next year already! I can't stand the thought of him going to middle school! Ali starts 3rd grade, and I only pray things go better than last year. She did get another "guy" teacher, but from the sounds of it, he'll be a good one.



 We left for Oregon on the 3rd of August. We were brave this year and drove. I can honestly say it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! Jon drove most of the way- I read a few books- I would definitely recommend by the way...so if you need a good book- let me know and I'll share.

Once we got there, we (and the rest of Oregon) decided the beach was our first stop.  It was the warmest day of the year so far, and everyone (I mean everyone!) decided to escape the heat and go to the beach! A drive that should have taken about 40 minutes took nearly 3 hours because of traffic!  Talk about frustrating when you've been in a car as long as we had!  Normally when we go to Oregon, there are a few people besides us on the beach, but the beaches are so big that they seem empty!  This was the beach when we got there:
 as far as the eye can see!  Cars!  People!  Dogs!  Umbrellas!  And I don't blame them one bit.  My favorite place to be might also be theirs...go figure.



We spent some time here...
The "kids" love the bumper cars and the tilt-a-whirl.  This is AFTER a HUGE dinner at Grandpa Duanes, and still no one threw up! We got to see Jon's brother Gary for a little while- it's always fun to be reminded that my husband isn't the only one like him.  Gary is still a kid too!  They were so competitive on those bumper cars!

We spent time here, of course- our favorite beach to visit while in Oregon...


Yes- I cut my hair off- yes, I like it- but it needs fixed a little (Lisa!)  My plan was that if I cut my hair I would look better in the family pictures I wanted to get at the beach... unfortunately, I didn't take into account the wind.  It really doesn't look like this.  But anyway- it's Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach.  I LOVE it!  We got to visit the tide pools as well-
 
Tide pools are always my favorite... I can't believe the colors when I see them in real life!  I love the starfish- and you can touch the anemones and  they'll close up.  My kids love this part too.  We went to the aquarium in Newport one day, and the Tillamook Cheese Factory and had ice cream, however, I forgot my camera that day (I know, I know) and I have to get those pictures still from Betsy!

This is my beautiful Mother-in-law who was a good sport the entire time!  Whether being cooped up in a car with all her grandkids, or stuck in my car with an ornery daughter-in-law...she seemed to enjoy herself the whole time.  She'll be having her hip replaced in September, so this was the last of our fun for a while.
 
We had a bonfire on the beach and made super sticky s'mores.


These pictures are still straight out of the camera, but I'm excited to play with them cause they are so pretty to start with!  Sorry the post is so long, just think if I had ALL of the photos!
 

4 comments :

Cambria said...

I WANT TO GO!!!!

Caldwell Family 6 said...

It really looks like SO much fun! I need to see that part of the country someday! I am sure your kids have the best time up there! Glad you enjoyed it, and glad you are back safe! LoR

The Caldwells said...

Cannon Beach is one of my all time favorite places on earth. oooh and bon fires on the beach are THE BEST. glad you guys had a good trip :)

Joey said...

Yes, I think that I need to go there. Right on the ocean for about 10 days! No one to bother me just the waves and a book! When can we go? I have about 2,000 hours of vacation time...